Monday, July 20, 2009

Own your ride

Another adventure on the Saturdays. Off late, Saturdays are becoming one of the most happening weekend days for me. This saturday I decided to get the hypothecation off from my RC book. Yippee!! I finished paying up the loan and my babe is all mine now. So to reiterate and confirm the ownership, I decided to get the hypothecation removed. To begin with, I was all apprehensive about the process of how to get it done. I read up few forums and blogs which did help me get a fair idea. But then you never know how the system gives you surprises.

I managed to get my butt off early on Saturday morning while the climate was inviting enough to keep you in bed for hours longer, thanks to the drizzle. After doing the bare minimal morning activities, which excludes bathing and having breakfast :-D, I rushed myself to the Indira Nagar RTO.I was all happy to see the place all deserted. It was around 9. After doing some search for which counter to be going to for my purpose, I finally landed into a queue. Man, tat was quick, from a deserted place to a queue. Time 9:30. I was amused to learn that these babu's work from 10-12 on Saturdays. :-S. Man, that's some hours of work they getting paid for. After patiently waiting for the doors to open by 10, I entered the counter. I was all happy since I was the first person in the queue. I asked the person sitting at one counter about whom to contact regarding my purpose, he pointed me to the desk right beside him.On seeing it unoccupied, I unassumingly asked him if the person would be coming in today. At this, the guy just got pissed and asked me to repeat the question .Seeing red, I smiled and asked the questoin again.Aat this he said, he ll be coming. He also added tat I should not be asking such questions. Man some attitude he had. Anyways, I had all the time in the world , but I was more worried about the babu's, since they had only 2 hours to work. Seeing the desk still unoccupied after half an hour, and the queue just becoming serpentine, this guy finally pointed at a occupied desk where I could head for getting my work done. It seems the guy besides this person was actually not coming in. I thought to myself, I asked him the right question and I got a verbal shot back. Not heeding too much thought into it, I headed towards the counter although I was no longer the first person in the queue. After waiting patient for my turn, I realized I had not paid the fee at the cash counter which was open all the while.

At this, I hurried to the cash counter, paid the fee, got it verified from another counter before heading back to counter where I had to submit my documents. Wow, so much of running around for the sake of process. In the end , I got an acknowledgment from them and walked out pretty happy spending about 2 hours of a Saturday, considering the fact, I didn't have to give a single extra penny which all these govt office's are notorious for. It isn't tat bad after all, I think all you need is a bit of time and patience.

Few pointer:

1. Get all the necessary docs for the process listed below.

a) NOC letter from your bank requesting the RTO to remove the hypothecation from the RC book. Make sure you don't expire the period mentioned in this letter.Otherwise, you'll 've to shell some money to get another one from the bank.
b) Copy of your Insurance certificate.
c) Copy of you PUC certificate.
d) Original RC book

2. First things, first. Pay up your challan fee first at the cash counter to avoid running around as I did. I paid Rs. 100/- at indiranagar RTO.

3. Handy to carry a stapler to staple up your stuff. Though these babu's were kind enough to give their board pins for the purpose.

4. Try not to ask irrelevant question from the officials there, chances are it might leave a sour taste in your mouth, even though you meant no harm with those queries.:-P

5. Try to reach as early as possible to avoid the rush that is likely to be on a day like Saturdays.Though you wont 've to sweat as much as the people who are coming in for DL/LL test.

I have seen many forums quoting higher fee's for this process. I ll confirm this fee once I collect the RC book the coming weekend. Hope this info saves some poor souls of all the confusions like I found myself in. Happy owning your rides. :). Cheers.


Update[27/July/2009]: Yippie!! Got my RC book with the cancellation, and the fee is indeed Rs.100 , I confirm. :-)

3 comments:

joshy said...

nice to know that you did it through all that web of official pain in the u know where

Mridul Raj said...

Yep! I know wot u mean josh. Man was i glad to get through this one so easily! :-)

newatthis said...

congratulations!! your babe is now yours alone!!! (men and their bikes... am never going to figure this one out thats for sure!!)